ASIAN covers and characters in YA (#diversebooks)

Ever since, well, okay, I'm going to be real, here--ever since seeing this one guy as I dropped off my girls at the local high school (and having a character pop right into my head) a couple of years ago, I've been much more serious about including Asian characters in my work. The result of that is the presence of Ethan and Mallory in the Flora series, as well as other characters in books I've written that are yet-to-be released. Not that I pretend to know anything about Asian culture or specific Asian ethnicities, because I totally don't (which is why I personally would never try to do an Asian MC), but I think it's become pretty clear that YA books need to imitate life, and life (at least here, where we live) is quite the eclectic group of fishies in the high school sea.


Anyway. Since this lack of Asian YA covers/MCs/secondary characters popped out at me in 2013, I've really been keeping an eye out for Asian characters in YA. Since then, I've been wanting to share the few I've come across, and I finally got around to doing a post! YAY!
Girl in ReverseOf Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)


SoundlessSpirit's Princess (Spirit's Princess, #1)

Fish Out of WaterAlong the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel Everything, EverythingOrchards

Eleanor & ParkSerpentine (Kingdom of Xia #1)

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)Sword

Silver Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #1)Legend (Legend, #1)

There are MANY more books, of course, but these are the ones I've recently come across. For a longer list, check out this one on Goodreads

How about you? Have read any of these, or seen/read others not mentioned here? I'd love to hear about them in the comments! :)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I Love You is one currently high on my to read list :)

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Ah, yes! Thanks, Kate! I'll add that to the list this week! <3