An hour before the sun would let me read (#booklove)


In the search for some material for the second book in the Flora series, a friend of mine (Stephanie Wardrop) suggested the poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning and I am absolutely loving her work. In my research, I came across a very long poem called Aurora Leigh and had to share an excerpt from it:

“Books, books, books!

I had found the secret of a garret room

Piled high with cases in my father’s name;

Piled high, packed large,--where, creeping in and out

Among the giant fossils of my past,

Like some small nimble mouse between the ribs

Of a mastodon, I nibbled here and there

At this or that box, pulling through the gap,

In heats of terror, haste, victorious joy,

The first book first. And how I felt it beat

Under my pillow, in the morning’s dark,

An hour before the sun would let me read!

My books!”
 ~ from Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments: