To spell check, or not to spell check... there's no question

I had a great post idea for today, but this weekend was insanely busy, and my brain is mush. Therefore, I'm doing a switcheroo -- today's post is now what would have been Wednesday's, and Wednesday's will be the one I haven't begun to write yet. ;)

So... spell check, or no spell check? I say both, as long as you ultimately check everything yourself to make sure it's correct. Here's a great example showing how the spell check feature can be a crutch...

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques for my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it to say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
Eye am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My checker tolled me sew.

~Margo Roark

6 comments:

Jessica Ann Hill said...

I definitely always use the spell checker. But, I also always check my work myself to make sure everything is correct. I usually go through my stories at least four or five times to make sure everything is correct. I haven't gotten as far as line editing any of my novels yet, but I'm sure it will be even more for those.

Eric W. Trant said...

I don't trust spell checker. Fiends turn to friends, they're morphs into their over there. I leave the auto-check on (sometimes), but the WORST is the auto-correct.

Turn off the auto-correct. It may turn SEH into SHE, and you won't notice, when you really did mean SEH.

(SEH is the name of a company I work with.)

- Eric

Linda G. said...

I have a "trust but verify" relationship with my spell checker. ;)

Anonymous said...

Linda said it best for me! Trust but verify is definitely what I do;)

Anne Gallagher said...

I always keep my ten thousand pound dictionary right by my feet. Spell-check doesn't know everything.

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Jessica - I go through it quite a few times too, and it's always surprising to see things I should have picked up on way sooner!

Eric - Oh goodness. That automatic correction would drive me nuts!

Linda and Catherine - That's the perfect relationship! ;)

Anne - WOW. That's a heavy dictionary.;)