Word Cloud

I don't usually post on Saturdays, but I had to share this with everyone. I'm sure some of you have heard of the *awesome* tool called "word cloud" on http://www.wordle.net. For those of you who haven't, the website takes whatever group of words you supply and makes a cloud of sorts with those words. Or in the website's own words:


Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text.

Wordle is a great tool to use when you want to see which words are being used too often. I've seen a few people post their word clouds on blogs and whatnot, and have always wanted to do it. So last night I sat down while the girls were watching the Disney Channel and decided to check it out.

At first I wasn't sure which part of I'll Love You Until to use. I skimmed through a few chapters, and after a minute or so I settled on the main event, the event that's the whole point of the story, really. I copied those words, pasted them onto the box on the website, and waited. After a few seconds, the word cloud popped up on my screen.

Then I cried. Cried!!! I know! I was just as shocked as you are! I'm not one to cry - not ever. I mean sure, when terrible things happen, I do cry a bit (my heart isn't made of stone, people!), but the only person allowed to see me cry is my husband. (I'm not sure why I'm like that.) Not much gets to me, things the kids do, looking back on when they were young, nothing. I'm just not emotional like that.

So to stare at a computer screen, at this cloud holding MY words in random order, words I'd written from my heart, to see such an important part of the story displayed so beautifully, well I can't explain it. The perfect words were in the perfect places in perfect sizes.

It was my inspiration to keep going. No matter how many more times I have to hit the "delete" button, no matter how many times I want to bang my head on my desk, no matter how many times the voice in my head tells me I'm wasting my time. Those words showed how I felt when I wrote that event. The generator got rid of the small, unimportant words, and showed what my story was about. And when I'm sitting here at my desk feeling frustrated, I'm going to look at the wall, at these words, and they're going to be a reminder of why I started this whole thing in the first place.

You're probably wanting to know if I'm going to share that word cloud with you. Well my answer is, I can't. I would love to, really I would (because it's so beautiful, in my opinion at least) but if I did, the story would be ruined. It would be like grabbing a new book, not reading a word and then skipping to 3/4 of the way through and reading that part. I hate to be a killjoy but it's just not possible. I can, however, share a different part of I'll Love You Until. A part where Hallie Barnes and her husband are having a bit of conflict. It's not even remotely as "personal" to me, and I'm sure you will be able to tell the words are pretty general.

So here it is. Currently Chapter 14, three chapters before the part I can't show you;)



Wordcloudblogresized.jpg picture by munchi5gal

I thought it was neat to see the main character's names. Oh and remember how I mentioned using the word "just" too often a post or so ago? Well there's the proof, right there. A big ol' "just" eyesore.

Anyway. I had to share my experience with you all. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find the tape so I can stick this "secret" word cloud right here next to my computer screen. =)

9 comments:

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Okay that didn't go how I'd planned. I had no idea half of it would be cut off. Sucks. =(

Anonymous said...

It still comes across beautifully, don't worry. I may have to give it a try myself! :)

The words that reached out and grabbed me were "Get Anything Just Trying". Wierd, huh?

@steveedw

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I absolutely LOVE Wordle! It works for so many different things. :-)

Natalie Murphy said...

Aww I'm glad it made you so happy =]

Anita said...

Of course, now I have to go directly to the site!
Thanks for telling us about it.

Elisabeth Black said...

Looks cool to me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh, yes - I know the power of the Wordle. I've played with the feature myself recently. It really is a rush!

Well, I've just met you today but wanted to include you in an award I've got posted at my blog for 'writers who blog':

from the desk of a writer

It's a pleasure to meet you. :)

All the very best,
Corra

Suzette Saxton said...

Oh, what a beautiful thing! Thanks for sharing this.